Saturday, November 17, 2012

Book Club

The second installment in my Book Club series is this quick read by Ann Patchett, State of Wonder.  Years ago I read her book, Bel Canto and fell in love!  She writes these interesting stories, in exotic settings, with great characters, and it all comes together to make a very memorable read.


This one was no different.  While I was in New York, I need a book to read on the subway, so I hopped on over to Greenlight Books, this adorable, independent bookstore in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn.  This one was featured as a "new in paperback" and I didn't hesitate to pick it up.

I read it in a matter of a week on my train trips, and just devoured it!  It's the story of a pharmaceutical researcher who is dispatched to go to South America to follow-up the recent death of a colleague there.  The research that is being done in South America is on a native community who maintains fertility into their 60s and 70s (so suspend disbelief for a moment).  The drug company would, of course, like to figure out how to synthesize this ability and sell it to 40-something women at top dollar.  But of course ethical dilemmas, and personal development ensue, and maybe, just maybe the colleague isn't dead...

I highly recommend it!

Next up....Anna Karenina, so it might be a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment