Saturday, November 3, 2012

Book Club

If you know me at all, you know that I always have a book in progress.  I like to read before I go to bed at night, and my wishlist of books is so long that I have to keep up or else I'll never read these amazing books before it's too late.  So while I was in NYC I had lots of time to read on the train to and from work.  I started with Deborah Harkness's bestseller Discovery of Witches.


It is honestly one of the best books I have read in a long time.  I likened it to Harry Potter meets Twilight meets the Da Vinci Code.  And it's the first in a trilogy which is wonderful because it means you don't have to be sad when you finish it because more is on its way!  (The second book, Shadow of Night is out in hardcover, but the release date for the third is TBD).

I read it so quickly, partially because I had so much time on the train, but partially because I was tearing through it!  Couldn't put it down.  I even had one of those awkward moments when I was at my stop, but wasn't ready to stop reading so I continued to read as I walked up the stairs and out of the subway and almost into people...

It's the story of Diana Bishop, a professor of history and scholar of alchemy at Yale, and the descendant of generations of witches.  She has always shunned her powers, but upon stumbling upon an ancient book of witchcraft she is brought into the world she has always avoided.  She is met by the attractive and intriguing 1500-year-old vampire, Matthew Clairmont, and of course madness ensues.  It is fast paced, and so captivating.  I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good romance and some magic!

I really wanted to be caught reading by this blog while in NYC.  http://undergroundnewyorkpubliclibrary.com/ But no such luck... Check it out!

My next book is Ann Patchett's State of Wonder...stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment