Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Albuquerque

Well, so it begins.... The "interview trail" as 4th year medical students call it.  The time of year when we pick up after work one day, travel to a new city, and are back to work the day after!  All in the name of "matching" into a residency!
The Sandia Mountains from the hospital conference room

So it was in this fashion that I traveled to New Mexico the other day.  Sunday morning I flew to Albuquerque, drove around, got the lay of the land, went to dinner with current residents, slept in a weird hotel, toured the hospital and interviewed with attending physicians, drove to Santa Fe, had dinner, drove back to ABQ, and hopped back on a plane to Charlotte!  Phew... needless to say I was exhausted!

The plaza in Santa Fe

But I'm glad to say that I got to check another state off my list.  And I really loved the program at the University of New Mexico!  The people were very nice.  There's a lot of focus on academics and educations and they take care of lots of sick kids from around the southwest US and lots of those have really rare and weird diseases.  BUT it was freezing and so, so dry that my skin was cracking and my nose was bleeding by the time I left.  So if I end up matching there, please send gallons of lotion and a humidifier!!

Santa Fe



No comments:

Post a Comment